News

WHO says Congo’s Ebola outbreak started months before it was declared

WHO says Congo’s Ebola outbreak started months before it was declared

Wiza Bondele, centre, a health worker on the prevention and control team, seen at work in Ituri province, eastern Congo, Wednesday, Aug 5, 2026. (AP Photo/Dieudonne Dirole) Photo: Associated Press


BUNIA, Congo (AP) — The fastest-growing Ebola outbreak on record started in February, months before it was officially declared in mid-May, the World Health Organization said Monday, as responders in eastern Congo struggle to catch up.
The WHO regional director for Africa, Mohamed Yakub Janabi, told a news conference that sequencing indicated the outbreak’s start. He said some cases early in the outbreak were wrongly attributed to malaria and typhoid.
“So we are chasing the virus, the virus is ahead of us,” Janabi said.
Confirmed cases of Ebola in this outbreak have reached 4,200, including over 1,900 deaths, according to the latest government figures.
The outbreak declared on May 15 is unlike most previous ones for Ebola because the Bundibugyo virus responsible for it has no approved vaccines or treatments. Early testing was conducted for the more common type of Ebola, contributing to delays.
This Ebola outbreak has killed more people at a quicker rate than any other, including the 2014-2016 outbreak that is considered the worst on record with over 11,000 deaths out of at least 28,000 cases. That outbreak took about eight months to reach 1,000 deaths.
Ebola is rare but highly contagious and can be contracted via bodily fluids such as vomit, blood or semen and with contaminated surfaces and materials such as bedding and clothing. The disease it causes is severe and often fatal.
Last week, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu said Ebola is spreading faster than efforts to fight it, while some health workers are striking over a lack of pay.
New cases are doubling in some hot spots, Ghebreyesus said on X after meeting with officials in the capital, Kinshasa. Health authorities have said between 60% and 70% of new cases are recorded outside of contacts being monitored, and that the outbreak is spreading at an “alarming” rate.
Access to healthcare in the region already had been challenged by years of rebel conflict in one of Congo’s most remote and vulnerable areas, near the borders of South Sudan, Uganda and Rwanda.
Several past Ebola outbreaks have also been declared late, including the 2014-2016 West Africa outbreak. That outbreak was declared in March 2014, although the first human case later was found to have occurred in December 2013.

Recent Headlines

1 hour ago in Entertainment, Regional, Sports

Rumble Ponies stay hot against Altoona

Fresh
Back view of a baseball player in a white pinstriped uniform running on the dirt infield, number 6 visible on jersey, during a game.

In the month of August, Binghamton is 15-2.

3 hours ago in Community, Lifestyle, Local, Politics

Ithaca officials announce re-opening of sidewalks on Seneca St.

Sidewalks near the garage on Seneca St. have been closed since April.

16 hours ago in Entertainment, Music

After losing a friend and writing ‘Say So,’ Dan + Shay are back with the autobiographical ‘Young’

The lead single from Grammy Award-winning duo Dan + Shay's forthcoming album "Young" is a hard pivot from the wedding songs that make up so much of the country pair's discography.